Rock Your Senior Portrait Session
A little preparation goes a long way. Here are few tips to help you prepare for your upcoming senior session! I am always happy to help in any way as you prepare for your session. Feel free to text, call, or email, at any point leading up to your session with any questions you may have.
Hair & Make-Up
Most stylists recommend having your hair cut two to three weeks prior to your portraits. Your hair will look healthy and you'll be used to working with it.
Subtle make-up, when properly applied, beautifully highlights your eyes, plays up your bone structure, and nicely evens out your complexion. Stay away from anything shimmery. Neutral lips are sophisticated and timeless.
Clean up your eyebrows! This applies to guys too!
I highly recommend having your make-up professionally done.
Don't forget your nails. Neutral or clear polishes are best. A manicure is not necessary, but clean and trim nails are a MUST!
If you want to try different looks during your session it's best to start with your hair down. Adding accessories like headbands and clips can leave marks or flyaways in your hair.
What to Wear
Dark denim is flattering, it photographs better than light or distressed washes.
It's important to put together layered, multi-piece looks for senior portraits. A cropped blazer, lightweight leather or denim jacket to layer over a dress or jeans can keep it's modern edge.
Bold jewelry is a great way to make a statement and stay on trend.
If you are wearing something sleeveless remember to wear proper undergarments to prevent any awkward or revealing poses.
A neutral belt can cinch a dress or flowy top that might otherwise look bulky on camera.
Avoid large labels, brand names, or graphics. Big stripes and large prints can be distracting.
Pay attention to footwear!
ALL THE DETAILS
A LITTLE PLANNING IS ALL IT TAKES FOR A POLISHED AND STYLISH SESSION THAT YOU'LL REMEMBER FOREVER.
HERE ARE A FEW ESSENTIALS TO BRING ALONG TO YOUR SESSION.
- A BRUSH, HAIRSPRAY, HEADBAND OR CLIPS FOR HAIR EMERGENCIES
- LIPSTICK, GLOSS, AND POWDER FOR FACIAL TOUCH UPS
- LINT ROLLER AND STATIC GUARD SPRAY
- HATS, JEWELRY, SCARVES, OR OTHER ACCESSORIES
- IF YOU WEAR GLASSES KEEP IN MIND THAT SOME LENSES SHOW GLARE ON CAMERA. THINK ABOUT VISITING YOU EYE DOCTOR TO SEE IF YOU CAN BORROW A SIMILAR SET OF FRAMES WITHOUT LENSES
- YOUR BFF! HAVING A FRIEND FOR SUPPORT IS FUN AND WILL HELP YOU RELAX IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA
- DON'T FORGET TO GET A GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP BEFORE YOUR SESSION AND STAY OUT OF THE SUN. YOU WILL WANT TO BE ENERGETIC AND ALERT WITHOUT THAT SUNBURNED OR "I JUST PULLED AND ALL-NIGHTER" LOOK IN YOUR EYES!